Friday, January 9, 2009

Meet Kelly Colvin from www.womankind.etsy.com

Who are you?
I am married with 5 children from London and self taught designer of mostly beaded jewellery.

What do you create?
I like to create unusual pieces with beads that are handmade by other designers. Especially Lampwork and Kazuri beads.

How long have you been doing your craft?
I have been designing for about 9 months now. Although I did a short 5 week course, I have created all my pieces from home in my basement.

What do you like about creating?
I love the fact that you can start out with one bead and that bead can lead you to create a unusual piece of jewellery. I sometimes like the way I can begin a project with a certain piece in my mind, and then the colours of the beads change my direction and give me the design that differs with my original one.

What do you like about your business?
I like making handcrafted jewellery and have others pass comment on it. Its very self rewarding and theraputic. Having 5 children I love the way I can slot what I do into my family commitments and have no one telling me what to do. As yet!!!

How did you find out about Etsy?
I found it on a another handcrafted website. She mentioned that etsy was a good site to get your pieces seen, and that all the people who showcased their pieces, were handcrafters, which I thought was very good.

Do you sell your products anywhere other than Etsy?
I have sold some of my pieces to students and lecturers at my husbands college where he works and was really happy with the response that it got. I also intend to have parties and I also have a My Space website page. I as yet do not have my own website shop and am in the process of trying to sort this out.

What do you do when you’re not creating products for your shop?
I educate the children I have left at home. I used to homeschool all of my kids, but when I had my recent baby, I decided to put them in a Montessori school. So now I only have 3 of them at home, my time is took up with them. Aside from that I spend time with my sisters and friends and when weather permits as a family we go to parks and outings.

How long have you lived in London?
I have lived in London about 3 years now. Although I was born here, my family moved out to the outskirts, and I moved back here with my own family.

What is your favorite part of living in London?
I love the Multicultural feeling of London. Anything goes kind of thing. Although its busy I like to see people and enjoy its diversity in all its entirety.

What are some other sites to find out more about you and what you love to create? (Blog, Flikr, MySpace, etc.)
My Space. www.myspace.com/ColvinDesigns

No comments:

norakaren Bridal Collection

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.