Sunday, August 17, 2008

Meet Candice from the Palm Beach County Etsy Team

Who are you ?
My name is Candice Hayden. I live in Jupiter and am the proud momof two awesome teenagers. We spend our summers up in the mountains of northwest North Carolina in Blowing Rock at the periphery of PisgahNational Forest -- so different from Florida in so many ways. Beingsurrounded by nature keeps me balanced and focused on the joys in life-- family, friends, health and wellness. I sit up here in front ofthe fireplace and look out at the mountains and a peace sweeps over methat I try to hold on to once I get back to FL -- though it is hardsometimes!




What do you create?
I create artisan quality, high-scented soy candles in my own handmadepottery.

How long have you been doing your craft?
I have been an artist my whole life. I have been exposed to everypossible medium during my life. In my freshman year of high school, Iwas in an arts program where we learned to throw pottery. I put thataside until a couple of years ago when I took a pottery class at PBCC.I was hooked. I went out and bought my own wheel and kiln and turnedmy guest apartment into a studio. Ha! That took care of the guests!Anyway, I started making teapots and then I found I had all theseteapots and I'm not even a tea drinker! I received a soy candle as agift and I was captivated by the scent and the smooth, almost edible,quality of the wax. That was my - to quote Oprah -- aha! moment. Iresearched how to make soy candles and I love the extension of thecreation. Now my pottery actually has a use!

What do you like about creating?
Up until recently, I worked only in the two dimensional realm, mostlyin oils. But I found I got very anal and caught up in the productinstead of the process. With clay, for a short while, the artist andthe process are one. When you are having a bad day, the clay feelsit. It wobbles, it caves -- it is a direct expression of how you aredealing with the world in that moment. On a good day, the cool claymoving beneath your fingertips is soothing and the product iseffortless. Throwing pots is better than therapy! On thatparticularly good day, it is a spiritual experience.


What do you like about your business?
I was in the corporate world for so long. My world revolved aroundthe meaningless -- paperwork, deadlines, petty disagreements. It was so against my nature. Now, I determine what has meaning. I can dealwith the world on my own terms. Every day is something new. Everytime I take something out of the kiln, every time I try a newfragrance, it is like Christmas! My business is a joy and I welcomeeach day with an eagerness I never felt working in the old businessparadigm.

How did you find out about Etsy?
I literally stumbled on it when I was doing a google search. I don'teven remember what I was searching. It looked interesting and Isigned up on a whim, not knowing much about it. I still am prettyclueless about many of the widgets and I couldn't put together atreasury if my life depended on it!




Do you sell your products anywhere other than Etsy?
I have a small "vignette" in the historic Shoppes at Farmers Hardwarein Boone, NC. It is what once was the epicenter of male life indowntown Boone before Lowes and Walmart moved in. A beautiful threestory brick building with wood floors and wainscoated walls, it ishome for many small businesses selling everything from antiquefurniture to Vera Bradley bags to expensive jewelry.






What do you do when you're not creating products for your shop?
I am the mom-mobile! My daughter is driving now but my son won't bedriving until December so I am still "needed" to cart a bunch oflaughing teenagers around. I am so blessed. They grow so quickly, itseems only yesterday that I was arranging play dates. I am an avidreader and I write as well. I also am a class-a-holic. This fall Iam taking a photography class and a photoshop class. I love to learn new things and will probably go to "school" for the rest of my life.

You can find all her very artistic candle pieces and more of this awesome craftisan at

No comments:

norakaren Bridal Collection

Create your own video slideshow at animoto.com.